SenorTuna.com

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Default Spliced spectra loops

Spliced Loops are easy to do. Here is a step by step tutorial. For demonstration purpose, I am using 200 # Jerry Brown spectra in Hi-Vis yellow. The only tools that you will need is a spectra scissors and single strand stainless wire like shown in photo #1. I also use smaller single strand for the really fine spectra. 27# single strand works for most sizes of spectra. Please note that this method was shown to us by David Choates ( Wahoodad) at one of our lunch meetings about 4 years ago. David told us that he was shown this method by a long time long range fisherman. I am sorry, but I donít remember his name but I donít know even if he was the originator as spliced loops were being done many years before spectra with hollow Dacron.

Photo #1

Cut off a piece of single strand about 4 ft long and double it over into half. Use your fingers to fold it at the middle to form your loop. I use my fingers rather than pliers so that I do not accidentally nick the wire as shown in photo #2.

Photo #2

When properly formed into a bullet shaped loop , it should look like the puller in photo #3. Do not over bend the wire as it will then form a sharp point. You want it to be bullet shaped so that it will go through the spectra core easily.

Photo #3

Imagine that the spectra coming off the spool is coming off your reel. Although this tutorial will work for either spectra coming off the reel, the spool or just a cut length of spectra, this tutorial is specifically aimed at showing you how to do the loop when one end of the spectra is connected to your reel and you need a spliced loop at the end of your spectra.

Measure out 6-12 inches of spectra from the end of the tag end as shown in photo #4

Photo #4

Take your wire puller and insert the bullet shaped loop into the spectra going from the point in the previous step towards the reel as shown in photo #5 and #6

Photo #5

Photo #6

Insert the puller about 6-12 inches into the spectra and then poke it through the spectra wall until the wire loop is fully outside as in photo #7.

Photo #7

Open the wire loop and take the tag end of the spectra and the open end of the wire puller and insert both through the opened wire loop as in photo # 8 and #9.

Photo #8

Photo #9

After you pull the entire length of the tag end and wire loop ends through, a small amount of spectra can be pulled through the wire loop as shown in photo # 10.

Photo # 10

Pull the open end of the wire pullers back through the spectra core towards the tag end and it should look like photo # 11. Continue pulling the wire puller in the same direction until it is completely out. See photos 12, 13 and 14.

Photo #11

Photos 12, 13, 14

Take the tag end of the spectra and pull it towards the reel while holding the spectra loop as shown in photo #15.

Photo #15

When done, it should look like photo # 16. You can now remove the wire puller. Photo # 17 shows what you have so far.

Photo # 16

Photo #17

Next you need to see where the tag end will meet the main line coming off the reel. Note that spot as this will be the insertion point for your wire puller as shown in photo # 18.

Photo # 18

Insert the wire puller at the insertion point and push it towards the loop as shown in photo # 19 and #20.

Photo #19

Photo #20

Insert the wire puller until it meets the junction as shown in photo # 21 and poke it through the walls of the spectra. Then take the tag end and insert it into the loop of the wire puller as shown in photo # 22.

Photo # 21

Photo #22

Pull the wire puller back towards the reel until the tag ends protrudes from the insertion point as shown in photos #23, #24, #25, #26

Photo #23

Photo # 24

Photo # 25

Photo #26

Pull both legs of the loop which will tighten the gap at the junction point of the two splices as shown in photo #27. Do the same at the other end pulling on the tag end and the line leading to the reel as shown in photo # 28.

Photo # 27

Photo # 28

When completed, the gap will look like this as shown in photo # 29 and by pulling the looseness in the spectra away from the gap as shown in photo # 30 you will get a nice formed gap that is practically invisible as shown in photo # 31. Continue to smooth out the looseness all the way back to the loop and back towards the reel.

Photo #29

Photo # 30

Photo # 31

You will end up with a bit of the tag end still protruding as shown in photo # 32. Pull out about one inch of the tag from the core of the spectra and cut it off as shown in photo # 33 and 34. When you pull the looseness back over the insertion point, the tag end will disappear into the core as shown in photo # 35. Your are now done.

Photo # 32

Photo # 33

Photo # 34

Photo #35

Last edited by Jureal; 06-27-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Just Getting Started

Hey Jureal,

Nice tutorial!, but where is the ďnubĒ? (j/k)

Awhile back, we had a great discussion on this!

End Loop on Hollow Spectra by harddrive

Photo's # 8 to #10 is what I call the Jerry Brown Flip.

In my research, even save some hand written notes from somewhere.

JMO
Glenn

My Spectra Notes

Last edited by GSKono; 06-20-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM
No Bad Days

Mel, excellent job. I have 2 comments:

After photo 18, if you choose an insertion point that is about an inch further down the line from where the tag end sits, instead of exactly next to the tag end, you can eliminate the step after photo 34. You won't have to trim the tag because it will always end up buried inside the main line once you smooth it out..

I like to use a heavier wire for 80lb spectra and above; #7 (69lb) is my favorite since it lasts longer and doesn't get bent up.

Also, Photo #3 and #7 are duplicates.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Glenn, the story that I have heard from David is that this was taught to him by another long range fisherman ( I think ...oldtimer was the word he used) and later he showed the flip to Jerry Brown. The origin, apparently was not Jerry.... at least that is what I have been told. You know that knots and things that fishermen used are rarely NEW. Just re-hash from someone else that showed them how. Somehow, it gets attributed to them....ie the Rose knot.... ( not meaning to stir the pot ). Not sure where Gary would put that nub on this one... lol

Basil, I know exactly what you mean but I like to leave a small tag just to give me one last chance to check to see that the gap has filled. You are absolutely right. The choice of wire, I leave that up to personal preference. It is true that the bigger wire is less likely to crimp up in the wrong place and less likely to push through the side of the walls of the spectra in the wrong place. I carry all sizes in my bag but generally use the first one I get my hands on. Appreciate your comments.