SenorTuna.com

Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > Tackle Forum > Tackle Tutorials
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 01-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Default How to make a Nail Knot Topshot

Tutorial on Topshots using the nail knot

I was told of this technique by Jimmy Lew at Yo’s custom Rods in Gardena. He told me that the new method that he started using for his topshots was to make the serving using the nail knot. Here is the technique for making the nail knot, and using it in place of the typical serve or even the crimps. Unlike the normal methods of making your serves, there are minimal tools needed when using the nail knot.

Here are the tools needed. Nothing very expensive nor difficult to acquire.

To start, you need some plastic coffee stirrers. Cut a few into 2 inch pieces and one about 1 inch long. Cut a 18 inch piece of 30 or 50 lb spectra ( not the coated kind ) and fold it back onto itself about 4 inches from the end.

Hold the 2 inch and 1 inch stirrer along with the folded piece of spectra with your left hand.

Now with your right hand, begin to wind the longer tag end around all three ( 2 stirrers and short tag end).

Make 8-10 concentric turns with the longer tag end and insert the remaining tag end into the I.D. of the smaller 1 inch stirrer and out the other side.

Pull both tag ends until it is tight but not so tight as to crush the stirrers. Then begin to remove the smaller stirrer by pulling it to the left leaving the nail knot surrounding just the longer stirrer.

Pull both tag ends slowly so that the nail knot will constrict onto the remaining long stirrer. Be carefull to keep the nail knot with concentric circles by not allowing them to overlap. This is the tricky part as you will need to spread them apart and tighten and spread apart again and tighten….repeat until it looks tight and concentric.

Tie both tag ends into a loop like this.

Now do the same thing again on the other side of the long stirrer. When done, it should look like this.

Now make lots of these and store it in a ziplock bag to be used when you are ready for the next step. Part 2 will show the rest of the technique but here is a picture of what we will eventually do with these pre-made nail knots. As you can see, the stirrers are just a temporary storage device and are not part of the finished top shot.

Part 2 to follow…..
Old 01-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Part 2 Making the topshot

Take the nail knot that was mounted onto the coffee stirrers and thread the spectra through.

Open up the ID of the spectra using the wire pullers made out of stainless single strand wire. I like to use about 30# test wire and just bend and squeeze the wire into two legs using your fingers to bend. Do not use tools as you do not want any nicks on the wire.

Pull out the wire from the spectra being carefull to not pull the spectra too much which would cause it to constrict. Leave the ID as open as possible for the next step.
Take your mono or fluorocarbon and cut the end with a razor. Do not use your pliers, scissors or cutters. The razor will give you a nice clean cut and make it easier to form the end of the line into a cone like shape. Use your nail file and shape the ends of the line. Make sure that it is nice and smooth.
Insert the mono into the spectra. I like to go in about 30-36 inches.

When done, pull the spectra and mono against each other and stretch out all the looseness. Make sure that the mono does not slip out of the spectra sleeve. Place your nail knot near the junction where the mono enters the spectra.

Remove the stirrer from one of the nail knot and pull both tag ends to tighten the nail knot over the spectra/mono as close to the junction as possible.

Use something like a pen or screwdriver and place it into the loops so that you can really pull tightly without hurting your fingers.

Do the same thing with the second nail knot.

After they are both done, cut the tag ends off with a spectra scissors and apply super glue to the knots so that they will not slip or come undone.

When done, it looks like this.

Last edited by Jureal; 01-13-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Strong, Silent Type

That is pretty slick. Looks to be very clean and eaisly pass thru rollers and guides. I can see all the local restraunts around the landings having a shortage on coffee stirrers.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 AM
I Love the Smell of Chum in the Morning!

Very Nice Tutorial, Mel!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM

One of my concerns with the Sato crimps was the passing of that crimp on the ceramic rollers on my Stella. Passing thru the guides was not my concern as it doesn't have the severe 90 degree turn as at the bail. There is a angle at the tip of the rod but not as severe. I will be testing the connection this weekend on the water but it looks like the amount of pressure that you can exert on that nail knot is similar to the crimps. Give it a try and see for yourself.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Strong, Silent Type

what brand(s) super glue are you using and where can you buy it?

what brand of spectra are you using for the nail knots?

have you considered using dacron for the nail knots?

thanks

Last edited by monkutare; 01-14-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 PM

I use nail glue from Sallys Beauty Supply. Less than $2 for the bottle. I use the type that dries slowly. Slower drying = more flexibility. The kind that uses an accelerator becomes brittle. The brand that I like is Bondini. Not Bandini like the fertilizer. That bottle does not harden up and unuseable like some of the others. Do not wet the glue after applying until it is completely dry. Water accellerates the hardening of the glue and makes it brittle.

I am using JB solid spectra for the nail knot... I think about 30 or 40 lb test. Dacron would work but would be bulkier for the lb test thus the knot would be bigger.You really need to tighten that nail knot good and tight. Like I said, use plier handles, pen barrels, screwdriver....whatever to put inside of the loop and pull that way. That spectra loop can cut into fingers.... ouch. Do not use power pro or any other coated spectra as the glue will not adhere to it because of the coating.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Strong, Silent Type

since the point of the serve is to hold the line enough so that the fingertrap holds, do you think this would work with just the single knot at the end of the spectra (and then glued)?

I also wonder if just doing a ten turn uni knot would work, without having to mess with all the other stuff.

Great idea regardless. I would not have ever started this line of thinking as an alternative to the serve.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Just Getting Started

Hey Mel,

Very nice tutorial!
But the concept of using a nail knot for a serve sounds very familiar!

Thanks for the added ideas, but there are other things that I would still do.

I do have one question: How do you get the straw that had the nail knot off the line, especially if it’s a long top shot? J (no answer is needed, just messin with ya!)

Glenn
Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 PM

Pull it through the other end ( through the loop end ). Or just leave it on. Nice terminal tackle jewelry Remember Alan? He wanted a way to tell if it was his hook or knot when in a tangle.... Remember what he did? Yeah, the nail knot is an old flyfishing technique for attaching mono leader to the fly line...cept we used the mono to make the nail knot and the long tag became the leader.... Part III coming up