SenorTuna.com

Notices

Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Tony Pena Knot

Won article this week states that this is the best knot for tying mono leader to spectra. Did a search on the Tony Pena Knot and came up with this. http://www.frenzytackle.com/tips/pena.htm Only difference from the Won article is that instead of the overhand knot to start it, they use a uni knot. This web site is very nice as you can double click on each photo and it will enlarge.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Changing the World One Angler at a Time

It looks tedeious; 50lb or less I use a 9-5 its quick and small; 60 and 80lb I worm the connection; which consists of a bimini and wrapping the doubled braided line around the mono; for 100lb and heavier I splice the mono into the hollow spectra; whipping the end with floss and then glue the floss with supper glue; I most definitely prefer the Jerry Brown Spectra when feeding mono into spectra; but for the rest of the application I use household items; Meaning I do not use needles; I use a razor blade to make the tip of the mono into a point then lightly sand it and its ready to be shoved in ( needles are easier but call me frugal); I use dental floss and supper glue for the rest; The splice is awsome for going in and out of the guides; I have pics of how to do all of these knots and I will paste them once my other computer returns from the Geek Squad (again); I guess hot coffe is like kryptonite for computers

Last edited by spike the conformist; 04-19-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 AM

"It looks tedeious; 50lb or less I use a 9-5 its quick and small;"

Not sure what you mean unless you are talking back to back uni. According to the article, the Pena knot is much stronger. I prefer to use the loop to loop method of connection but just thought that those that like knots, this might be an easy connection. If you look at the photos closely, it is a very easy knot to tie. The tag end of mono is facing away from the tip so will not hinder casting. A modification that I am thinking about would be to take the spectra tag pass the overhand knot and wrap it over the mono tag and use the whip finish to complete the knot. A dash of spectra glue would seal it up tight even more.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jureal View Post
"It looks tedeious; 50lb or less I use a 9-5 its quick and small;"

Not sure what you mean unless you are talking back to back uni. According to the article, the Pena knot is much stronger. I prefer to use the loop to loop method of connection but just thought that those that like knots, this might be an easy connection. If you look at the photos closely, it is a very easy knot to tie. The tag end of mono is facing away from the tip so will not hinder casting. A modification that I am thinking about would be to take the spectra tag pass the overhand knot and wrap it over the mono tag and use the whip finish to complete the knot. A dash of spectra glue would seal it up tight even more.
yeah to be honest; still looks tedeious; I looked at the photos; I especially enjoyed the one with the pliers (tedeious); for light line applications the 9-5 is simple and easy; The 9-5 is a uni to uni; Nine turns with the spectra five with the mono; I can cut myself out of a tangle and tie the 9-5 back on in the length of a heart beat; It could take longer if I needed to use my pliers; I also did not like the knot that was tied in the mono on photo #2; I dont know; I just didnt like the "tedeiousness"of he knot; Not trying to be rude only expressing my thoughts
Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Strong, Silent Type

Will doubling the initial mono knot (surgeon) make it less prone to unwrapping or making it stronger?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Tony Pena in his book likes the idea of doubling the overhand. According to the article, the Sands Tackle version uses the uni knot instead of the overhand knot. Btw, the article gives credit to Roddy Hays and he says that he showed Pena and also says that he did not create the knot either....some unknown person or persons a long time ago created the knot.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:49 PM
In Beckett we trust

it looks like the "Forever Knot" a guy on The Double taught me that one
Old 04-20-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERO67 View Post
it looks like the "Forever Knot" a guy on The Double taught me that one
Is that similar to the "Hawaiian all day"?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Past President 2005 L.A. Rod and Reel Club

Default Mel...the Sands Tackle version

Which I recently learned does use a Uni Knot as you said to anchor the mono on one end first and then uses overhand loops with the braided lines back and forth (about 10-12 turns each way).

They recommend putting in a little tool to keep the first loop open you make with the braided line. When you are finished making your loops coming back towards the mono, the tag end goes through that loop to finish the knot off.

The knot may look more complicated to tie than it really it. And least I thought so until I spent about 10 minutes watching Rich at Bob Sands tie it. In no time, I had it down. It's actually easier to tie if you have your reel anchored (like on a line winding machine) and the braided line on a spool (also on a winding machine).

"May the ocean be calm, your casts be true and the bass be with you"

Last edited by Calico Bob; 04-20-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Strong, Silent Type

interesting knot..