SenorTuna.com

Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > Table Toppers
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 08-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Strong, Silent Type

Default Recipe for Smoking Yellowtail Question?

New to this Senortuna caught some yellowtail , and yellowfin tuna . I want to smoke it, but don't know any recipes or what wood to use . My dad has a friend at work who uses brown sugar he really likes it anyone know this recipe? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:12 PM
"Stand up for your right!"

BTW, welcome aboard!
Here's an easyand quick brine, Costco Sesame dressing mixed with an equal part of cold water, 1 cup each to start. Put the filets of yellowtail in a gallon ziplock bag and enough of the brine to soak for 1 hour at room temperature or 4 hours in the fridge. The Yellowtail filets are lighter in flavor so they don't take that much. Put the tuna filets, which are denser and stronger flavored into another bag, fill with brine and leave over night.
Low and slow is my motto, 220 degrees for 2 hours and you are god to go!

Hana Pa'a!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Strong, Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.AkuHed
BTW, welcome aboard!
Here's an easyand quick brine, Costco Sesame dressing mixed with an equal part of cold water, 1 cup each to start. Put the filets of yellowtail in a gallon ziplock bag and enough of the brine to soak for 1 hour at room temperature or 4 hours in the fridge. The Yellowtail filets are lighter in flavor so they don't take that much. Put the tuna filets, which are denser and stronger flavored into another bag, fill with brine and leave over night.
Low and slow is my motto, 220 degrees for 2 hours and you are god to go!
Thanks you J.AkuHed that sounds good anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Procrastinate Now!

Jim's suggestion sounds good. Most people use a soy sauce based brine as he suggested. Before smoking, I like to take the fish out and let it dry on a wire rack (like used for cooling cookies) for an hour--don't worry if the brine becomes tacky to the touch--its a good thing. Smoking time depends upon the type of smoker and thickness of the fish, you may have to experiment and test for doneness along the way.

I like using fruit woods best--hickory is ok, but strong woods such a mesquite will overwhelm the fish. Don't skimp on the wood as you will not be smoking for long and you need to impart the smoke flavor.

Smoked fish is tremdous right off the grill, and leftovers are great in salads and make a memorable tuna fish salad.

If I have a good trip, the pieces leftover from cutting steaks go into a bowl and all get smoked.

Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:55 AM

I use a different method. I moisten the fish all over with olive oil. Then I completely coat in a dry seasoning, try McCormicks Montreal Steak seasoning.
Place on racks and smoke over a water smoker on medium. Use wood chunks instead of shavings, make sure you soak them in water for overnight or a few hours at least, adding a few chunks every hour to the smoker. Pecan wood is nice too.
Tuna loins usually take about 6 hours, yellowtail about 4.
The fish will be slightly moist, and you can vacuum pack and freeze for future use.
My method I would not suggest to leave out like a jerkey. Treat as you would lunch meat.

A good use for smoked tuna is to shred it up add it to cream cheese that has been thinned with a little milk, lime juice and finely diced herbs such as dill, parsley, basil.
Makes a spectacular dip for the holidays or any occasion
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Just Getting Started

i just smoked some yellowtail last weekend. harasans dad gave me the recipe and it came out awesome. 4 parts brown sugar to 1 part salt. u can add chili pepper to add hotness. cover both sides of fish in the mixture and let it sit for a couple hours. pauls dad told me 12 hours in the refrigerator and i tried it , the next batch i let it sit for 2 1/2 hours and i liked that a lil better. the mixture turns to brine in about 30 minutes. just shake the excess brine off and pop it in the smoker i used hickory but most fish is smoked with alder. took about 3 hours to smoke in one of those smokers with the water pan.