SenorTuna.com

Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > Private Boater Reports & Info
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 PM
Fish slayer, when the boat runs!!

Default It's always something! - Catalina 7/29

It’s always something with owning a boat. This time it was the bait pump. We launched out of Davie’s in Long Beach at 0600 – the ramp was busy, but we didn’t have any issues and we were moving by 0630. The bait pump ran fine on the way out to see Nacho, and was running when he sold us a scoop of healthy sardines. The “awesome” weather that had been predicted? Not so much. There was a lump from the North and a brisk breeze from the South so the crossing was lively. Not dangerous, and not really uncomfortable, but bouncy. We got to Catalina at about 0815 and I looked at the Black Rock/Stoney Point area for our first shot at a yellowtail. Then I looked at my bait, and the plan changed. With a couple of exceptions, every bait was dead, 90% of the water was gone and we were suddenly down to frozen squid and sardines with the beginning stages of rigor mortis. Not a great way to start. Anyway, the first spot of the day didn’t produce anything besides a wind-cross-current tangle or three, so I pulled anchor and moved West, but not very far – and I anchored up outside a nice looking kelp bed not 500 yards from Black Rock. Conditions were different, the wind had stopped, and the current was running downhill. We – using dead sardines – started hammering the calico bass right away. Water was 71 and clean green. I had guests on the boat – “My” Texans – guests from Waco, and they had come to get something to eat, so we kept most of them – the quality was excellent, too – I caught a personal best – maybe 6 pounds, but I was using a circle hook and the corner of the mouth hookset pretty much said, “release me,” so I did. We kept 8 for the foodsaver and a trip to Waco where fresh saltwater fish is a rarity. James also caught a lone barracuda that was legal, so we sacked him up, too. Considering how the day started, it finished up pretty well. The water hit 73 degrees on the way back home and I think – think – that I might have seen a jumping dorado - no paddies to speak of that I ran across. We were on the trailer and home by 5. The Texans were pleased, and I’ve got a new boat project to keep me occupied next weekend! – Here’s some pictures I took:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2722.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	6876   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2727.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	6877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2732.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	6878  
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Inshore Board Moderator

Nice haul for dead bait. Some cod drifts might of been good with the dead bait. Nice day
Old 07-31-2018, 03:34 PM
Fish slayer, when the boat runs!!

Well, a trip to West Marine, 80 dollars for a new bait pump, a larger than normal mess with silicone, some cussing & swearing and I'm back online! - We'll see what happens this weekend!