SenorTuna.com

Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > Tackle Forum
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Strong, Silent Type

Default 2 poles remain! opinions needed

So I bought a new Avet mx for jigging flat falls to tuna and am looking for the rod to go with it...... I have narrowed it down to a shimano travala or a Penn carnage II... my problem is I live in Montana and cant actually hold the rod and see how they feel. I have a bunch of Penn rods that I have been using for 10+ years with no problems... but I hear a lot of good things about the shimanos. saw an old post of people using the Penn on a sponsored bot trip and liked it... any info would be awesome!
Old 11-14-2016, 03:54 AM
Procrastinate Now!

What line weight would you be using?

I haven't been super impressed with either Shimano or Penn rods. They work well enough, but they seem more like line extensions/afterthoughts for the reel companies. The Shimanos also seemed pricey for what you get, at least partially designed to be part of a "system" (like the butterfly) designed to sell you stuff as much as to catch fish. But I have heard a lot of people say they like Shimano rods.

Living in Missoula, I could see the problem of trying out rods from United Composite, Seeker, Phenix, etc. Is the rod something you can pick up before your next fishing trip, or are you planning on being in SoCal before the next trip? The ideal would be to visit LA/Long Beach in the first week of March and go to the Fred Hall Show, where pretty much every manufacturer displays its wares and you can pull on rods and blanks to your heart's content (not just saltwater, but freshwater gear too, and some hunting stuff also). Good luck.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Deprived

I like the old penn 700m I use it with JX and MX
Old 11-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Strong, Silent Type

I've got a 12 year old penn tuna stick that I still love, wife used it on a 70# Bluefin this last year and worked great....... but she would also shoot me if I spent 400$ on a new rod!!! there is just so much difference between the actions of different makers... I don't want to get maxed out on a soft rod
Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Procrastinate Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
she would also shoot me if I spent 400$ on a new rod!!!
Old west coast strategy: "Hey honey, look at this great rod that I won in a raffle on the boat!"
Old 11-21-2016, 05:53 AM
Strong, Silent Type

I agree with Brad to wait till you get to So Cal and find a rod. imho it's the rod that kills the fish. A rod that's too soft will turn into a noodle when loaded up and you will then have to winch that bad boy up with the reel alone. I have a buddy who tends to go on the cheap and I'm watching him slowly tear his arms and shoulder up.