SenorTuna.com

Notices

Old 05-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Strong, Silent Type

Default Hooks

Hi I'm a new guy here. I've been fishing for west coast pelagic's for ten years or so on the long range boats. There is quite a bit of knowledge here I'd like to tap. Anyone tried wide gap circle hooks tied as assist hooks? One other question is how do most folk feel about really light gear on tuna trips?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 PM

Not really tried the wide gap circles but still prefer the wide gap J hooks. Not really going to have a fish swallow that big jig anyways so why circles?

As far as really light gear on tuna, I do not think that many of your fellow anglers will appreciate waiting a long time for you to bring in that fish on light tackle. I have been caught doing just that but was not anticipating that such a big fish was around. Took a long time on the fish and eventually lost it but luckily it was near dark and everyone was in the galley having their dinner.... except mine was cold.... lol
Old 05-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Strong, Silent Type

I just had some big circle hooks laying around and started to wonder. I've had maybe a 50/50 take on the light tackle. Some folks get a kick out of it and some don't. Had a captain leave me hanging on a nice yellowtail but I don't think I can blame him. He's got a lot of other fisherman to take care of.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-31-2016, 03:35 AM
Procrastinate Now!

Welcome Tom.

I'm on the same wavelength and Jureal. I don't see a reason for circle hooks as assist hooks and would not appreciate being deprived of fishing time so one person could deliberately engages in light line fishing (it would be different if everyone was fishing say 30# line because they were fishing for albies and someone unexpectedly hooks into a 90# bluefin).
Old 05-31-2016, 07:56 AM
Strong, Silent Type

Thanks, I'm off fishing on a seven day in the middle of June and I'm not taking the ridiculously light stuff. I appreciate the input.
Tom
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 AM
Procrastinate Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutrodtom View Post
Thanks, I'm off fishing on a seven day in the middle of June and I'm not taking the ridiculously light stuff. I appreciate the input.
Tom
Good for you--which trip?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Strong, Silent Type

The Excel for the first time. In the past it's been the Shogun. I know quite a few of the folks going which always makes for a good trip.
Tom
Old 06-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Strong, Silent Type

You will love the Excel.
Captains Justin Fleck and Mike Ramirez frown on using anything lighter than 30lb. on open water.
They also do not allow to throw iron on the slide because the 124'Lx 34'W "Big X" takes a long time to stop on the troll.