Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > Tackle Forum
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Talkative

Default shimano torium 30 hg - a quick look inside

shimano torium 30 hg - a quick look inside

this one came in from the east coast. *lots of salt water intrusion. *i cleaned it all up, then decided to take a few photos. *

the design is very similar to the older toriums. *

i won't this time, i'll bet i could even rig with reel with a spring loaded dog.

the base plate is plastic. *not the strongest, but at least it won't corrode. *

the reel now comes with greased carbon fiber drag washers. *that's a big plus! *even if the bearings all seize up, the drags will still be smooth!

oh, and about those spool bearings. *they are buried so deep that you can't get to them to switch them out, or even lube them, unless you take the entire reel apart. *that's right, no more popping off the left side plate, pulling the spool and servicing the bearings. *the entire reel has to come apart. *i don't know what you guys think about this, but i'm not impressed. *

Old 09-21-2017, 05:30 AM
Procrastinate Now!

oh, and about those spool bearings. *they are buried so deep that you can't get to them to switch them out, or even lube them, unless you take the entire reel apart. *that's right, no more popping off the left side plate, pulling the spool and servicing the bearings. *the entire reel has to come apart.*i don't know what you guys think about this, but i'm not impressed. *

I recently paid a stupid amount to have my Toyota RAV4 repaired--they had remove the whole engine just to get to a part to change it--terrible design--so I am very impressed...just not positively.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Talkative

on the plus side, here's something in the old torium that you will likely not see in the new torium. the plastic base plate of the new torium should eliminate much of this corrosion. admittedly, this old torium would still function if i left this corrosion in place, but it really looks awful.