SenorTuna.com

Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > SenorTuna sanctioned Charters or Trips.
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Johnny Bocaccio

Thumbs up ST October 2015 Report - Pacific Star - Cortes Bank

This trip was definitely one of the most amazing ST trips. I wouldn't call it a fishing trip, I'd call it a catching trip. The weather was incredible, mid 80's, clear skies, and blue water teeming with life.

Jackpot Winners:

Day 1 - Daniel Ornales, 30lb Halibut
Day 2 - Dirtygirl, huge Yellowtail

Day 1 - Cortes Bank: Limits of YFT, Limits of Skipjack, Limits of Yellowtail, Limits of Whitefish, 1 Bullet Tuna, 1 - 30lb Halibut, and rockfish (all released)

Day 2 - Tanner Bank: Limits of Skipjack, Limits of Yellowtail, Limits of Whitefish, 2 Hammerheads (released), 1 huge lingcod (released)

We started with the traditional tailgate in the Seaforth parking lot. My son, Max, and I arrived at around 3:00, after stopping at El Indo for some carnitas, chips, salsa roja, and 3 dozen fresh tortillas. We saw the boat tied off at the dock and didn't see any ST members right away, so we walked down to the boat and took a look, then walked around the marina and bought some last minute tackle in the shop. I picked up a Marauder just in case the Wahoo were on the chew. As it turns out, the Wahoo are inshore in the slightly warmer water and we were headed 100 miles offshore, so I have a brand new Marauder in my bag for future use. We went out to my truck and I noticed some of the guys were beginning to show up. Capt. Mike said we could start loading our gear, so for those that were there early, we stowed our gear and went back to the lot to get started on the feast while Mike went to get bait. The food was plentiful and delicious. Greg's Spam Musubi was a big hit. The wontons were also a hit.

The ride out to Cortes Bank was pretty smooth and most of us got a good amount of sleep. I got up at 4:00 to see if there were any BFT biting in the dark, like on the July trip. I tried glow flat-falls and had no luck. At grey like the live bait started getting slammed and the bite went wide open. The bait was very lively anchovy, just like the big ones, but smaller. The best approach was 20lb to 25lb test with a #2 live bait hook, fly-lined, or with a 1/4oz egg slider or split shot. It was my experience that straight fly-lining yielded more fish. But at one point, they were biting every bait the second it hit the water. A few guys fished with clear casting bobbers to get the 'chovies away from the boat. The bite was wide open for most of the day and it was quite a mixed bag. You could fish the surface for YFT, Skipjack, and Yellowtail, or drop down with flat-falls or any jig of preference and get bit on the retrieve, kind of like a modified yo-yo technique, retrieve and pump, stall, repeat. The bigger Yellowtail were deeper in the water column and really went after the irons. Some of the guys were getting slammed on the popper and other surface jigs. If you wanted to, you could fish the bottom for an assortment of bottom critters, although all rockfish had to be released. This is how Daniel got the 30lb Halibut. The bite continued throughout the day, but was slightly slower in the afternoon. We finished the day with a hearty dinner and watched Team America: World Police, Sharknado III, and Zombeavers. Sharknado III was the prime time movie and theme of the trip.

After dinner and movies, we decided to move to the Tanner Bank, as Mike knew there would be major traffic parked on the Cortes Bank on Saturday. So, the trip to Tanner was very smooth, as we moved with the current/swell. I, for one, slept like a baby and got up at 4:00AM again to try for BFT, but alas, no such luck. Min was already up fishing and he told me he saw a huge bull dorado swim near the boat. It got spooked and took off when Min presented a bait. We continued to fish in the dark with no luck until grey light, then it went off, but this time it was all Skipjack and a few Bonita mixed in. Then later in the day, it was wide open Yellowtail. Then the Hammerheads arrive on the scene. They were fast and furious! My son, Max had a really nice Yellowtail and he nearly got spooled on his Avet SX. He handed his rod to me and I couldn't slow it down. I handed the rod to Deckhand Tevin and he managed to "turn the head" and get some line back. As it got closer, the head was all that came back. The crazy run wasn't the Yellowtail, it was the Hammerhead. What a great fish tale Max will have to tell for life. That and the Seagull that he caught, and his rare Bullet Tuna, which is only found in Tropical waters (thanks El Nino). Later in the day, Mike told us that there were 15 boats anchored on the spot we were at the day before, at Cortes Bank. So, we made the right decision to move. The bite was consistent all day and toward the late afternoon, the Whitefish decided to play. Everyone was pulling in huge Whitefish. Limits all around. Great diner, great movies, and a smooth ride home.

Overall, one of the best catching trips ever.

I didn't take a lot of photos, most are of my son, Max (12), as this was his first open water trip, so I focused on him most of the trip. I posted some of Dirtygirl's photos further down the thread. If you were on the trip and have photos, please post them.

Last edited by Johnnyfish; 10-27-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 AM
Just Getting Started

Control your fish!!

Chris
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Johnny Bocaccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_letch View Post
Control your fish!!

Chris
One of the best quotes of the trip!
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Talkative

Thanks for the report. Was a interesting trip and watching Max fight the fish was fun. Kids...
Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM
gotta run, I have a fish on

Default thnx for the report

Wow, what a great trip!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Johnny Bocaccio

Additional photos from Dirtygirl.

There are some great shots of Dennis, aka Forktail, fighting a 300lb Hammered.

Last edited by Johnnyfish; 10-27-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Fish slayer, when the boat runs!!

That was a trip! - good friends, good fishing, good food - great movies! - I don't think this season is ever going to end, either, which is great, too. I was packing up tuna, yellowtail and whitefish all day Sunday! - here are a few more pics of the trip:

Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Who Farted?

Here's a few more photos.
this is what we had to work with, lively 3-4" chovies.
although the fish bit the bait really good, they bit the plug with a vengeance. Somehow I could hear Mark from the top top deck screaming at us "Bait is for Bi___es!!!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2862.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	6445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2868.jpg
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	6446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2867.jpg