SenorTuna.com

Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > SenorTuna sanctioned Charters or Trips.
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Strong, Silent Type

Thumbs up ST Sept 2015 - Oh, Boy George asked me to write the report

This is a report encompassing the actions and events that took place on the Fishing Vessel: Pacific Star on the dates of Sept. 10, 11, and 12.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent, but in this case, there are very few that are innocent.

Thursday evening, 8:30 pm: Captain Mike calls us down the ramp at Seaforth Landing and we proceed to board. Plenty of handshakes and hugs as per the norm of a Senor Tuna charter. Upon getting on board I glance into the bait tanks as normal and happen to notice anchovies in the tank.

ANCHOVIES!!?!?!

Night Captain Matt comes on the PA to let everyone know that we probably need to get smaller hooks from the landing tackle shop.

He “spun us right round” and we proceed up to get the size 2 and 4 hooks that we all left at home.
Once we all return,
ropes are cast off and we are on our way. We are all called into the galley for our pre-game pep talk.

With 2 huge tanks of chovies and the front tanks full of small / medium mackerel we are feeling pretty good about the bait situation aside from the fact that 90% of the people on the boat had never fished the chovie before.

Mike went over the plan, American waters were our destined location and we would be looking for kelps and bird schools most of the time. He also told us that is was going to be hot and muggy and hot, which will be the theme of the evening.

Myron went over the food schedule and it was a winner.

Friday: Chili scramble for breakfast, Santa Fe Chicken Salad for lunch and (I can’t for the life of me remember what we ate for dinner…..)

Saturday: Corned beef hash and eggs for breakfast, Grilled Salmon Salad for lunch and pork tenderloin for dinner.

Matt went into detail on the Coast Guard required safety discussion and really provided a lot of insight into the details of what to arm ourselves with for fishing the next couple days.

George then informed us there was a raffle! Top prize was a very nice Abu Garcia Ambassador level-wind with 4 secondary prizes of TunaBelly special colored socks.

I know Jess has pictures of the winners of each of these.

Capt. Mike and the crew were presented with gifts keep the company as this season seems as if it will never end.

Dirty Girl also had a small box of gifts for George, which included a new pair of Sharknado socks and a couple of really awesome shark hats!

With all of the shenanigans aside we all attempted to sleep in our assigned bunks / ovens.

4am, Sept 11 2015: The sun was nowhere near rising when I slid my way out of the bunk. The heat was overwhelming and I hit the deck with the energy everyone has on the first day of a fishing trip. I was thinking, “Watch out here I come!”

There is very little swell and there is basically no wind, it’s eerie how calm the water is.

Around 6:45 we started looking for kelp and it was not to long before we found decent kelp.

This was a trip where all paddies holding fish held a mix of Firecracker Yellowtail, Football Yellowfin and Dorado
The Dorado were our saving grace, being the only fish of size on the trip.

I did see one tiny rat Yellow and he looked up at me with the look in his eyes, as if he was asking, “Do you really want to hurt me?”

The morning bite was hot, the afternoon was hot with a dead bite. As the sun went down we all started to hope for that 1 last paddy to round out the day. We found a good kelp at around 6pm and we fished it until dark and for sometime after that. Same cookie cutter sized fish but a good quantity of them came over the rail.

We did get a Short Billed Spear Fish on the troll. I believe he was using a “Red, Gold and Green” zuker.

I think we ended up with, 1 Short billed Spearfish 150 yellowfin, as many small yellowtail as people wanted to keep and limits of Dorado for day 1.

I went to sleep early to try to beat the heat, which didn’t work at all.

Sept 12, 2015: The heat is overwhelming in the front bunks, I slept in the galley….

The morning is crystal calm. There isn’t a ripple on the water. Lake Pacific was the flattest I have ever seen her. It was like fishing on a mirror.

We start searching for kelp at about 6:45am again and we drive until about 9am until we find anything. We stumble upon a chain of about 3 kelps about a mile apart from each other and we proceed to get a decent amount of fish off of each one.

I managed my only fish with any size off the 3rd patty.

We are off the patties by 10am and that is the last kelp we will find for the day.
Aside from a small flurry of DoDo’s on a jig stop we are done catching for the day.

I spent a lot of time on the bow and eyes on the horizon. There were just no kelps to be seen.

We talked about using drones to find paddies and we talked about our first “Loves” and we talked a little about fishing and we all knew we just needed that 1 last stop to save the day. But that last stop was like George’s copy of Sharknado 3. It was not meant to be.

Overall, it was fun as hell!
As always, these are the best men on the face of the earth to fish with.
Mike had 3 guys with the binoculars on the roof all day in the blazing heat. I am sure if there was a kelp anywhere near us, they would have seen it. For the guys that sat in the sun all day, they must have been thinking that “Everyday is like survival.”

Aside from the few mechanic problems everything went off flawlessly and I can’t really complain about coming home with 4 Yellowfin, 4 Yellowtail and 3 Dorado. “You know sometimes it's hard” finding fish and the guys on the Pac Star did their damnedest.

I give Mike a ton of credit for his “ I Go where I Go” attitude and having the “Freedom” of mind to get away from the fleet. This time was a “Fun Time” and “Next Time” we will get the “Unfinished Business” that all Senor Tuna anglers have with larger model fish. This trip was about catching with friends and not a “Vanity Case” for people’s facebook page. Big hats off to Atilla, who won both Jackpots and was “The King of Everything” and topped us all including the “Police and Thieves.”

Alright, I think I smashed enough Boy George references into 1 post.
Thanks for reading. I hope you are “Sold” on coming on our next adventure…..

Last edited by BKishimoto; 09-14-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Jefe' de SenorTuna

Thank you Brian.................... terrific report and pictures.

I still hate Boy George music ............and your references to his music went "way" over my head...!!!!!!!!!

You forgot to mention how much Dirty Girl enjoyed the original Sharknado movie , she's hooked on the trilogy now..... ownership may be something in her future...!!!!

Thanks again for the report............................. tb

Fishing teaches patience, "catching" comes from learning patience....!
quote: Tunabelly
Old 09-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Just Getting Started

Great report. Wait till you see the addition I'll be making to the film library on the November trip.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Strong, Silent Type

what's with no AC? I've heard complaints all summer long.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Strong, Silent Type

AC was on.

I was in the top bunk in the very front of the boat so nothing could save me aside from moving out of the room. The bunks on most boats are usually pretty warm, and on the Pac Star I never use a blanket, even in March.

I hold the boat harmless on weather situations and this time is no different. Weather is weather and I am guessing my home AC would have struggled with the heat this past weekend.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Johnny Bocaccio

Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 PM
Shore boat!

Way. To. Go! Awesome trip guys!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Marley's on!

Oh man, looks like you guys had a great trip. Nice report!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Strong, Silent Type

just want to shout out to all you guys great fishing with you everyone worked together so well even on some really crazy dodo bites all were on point kudos to all and the crew awesome trip thanx guys well written follow up Brian!!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Strong, Silent Type

pretty kool i didnt get any pics of my fish but atilla is holding my number 26 fish in the pic lol!!!