Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > Main Forum
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 04-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Strong, Silent Type

Front Page Report: March 30-April 2 Rockfish Report

Greetings!

Brian here with a recap of what went down on our 2 dayer aboard the Pacific Star.

After a not so eventful loading and leaving of the harbor we are called in for the pre-fishing meeting. Mike gives us the low down about the bait situation (There is no bait in Long Beach...) and Myron gives us the good news about the menu. T-Bones for dinner on Sat!!!

Day 1:

We make it to the back side of Cat at about 1 am and load up on what has to be 2 tons of squid from one of the squid boats. All 5 tanks are filled to the top. Absolutely best bait we could have asked for.

We then motor up to Santa Barbara Island.

4am rolls around and a few of us start soaking baits and eventually a few people pick up a Yellowtail here and there. More people join in the fishing and the action gets a little better on the flat falls and blue/white sumos. There was one larger model Yellow taken on the flat fall that would be the jackpot winner for the day.

We scratch a few more yellows until midday when Capt. Mike informs us that the weather at San Nicholas is flat and everyone opts in to make the 2 hour move.

I got in a 30 min power nap and came up to retie some some stuff.

By 11am we are a couple miles of the island and Capt. Mike tells us we are drifting a ridge in fast current, 1# of weight or more!

Our fist drift lasts about 2 hours. Its absolutely wide open on nothing but the huge reds we had all be hoping for. These are all 5-8# class reds with a couple medium sized lings in the mix.

We proceed to make this drift 2 more times over the rest of the day and we fill every sack, overflow the kill box and have so many reds on board that we have to stop because we at limits. On the final drift I manage my PB Ling that has to be in the 20-25# range.

As the sun sets the deckhands started to spread it all out and at some point in the evening after steaks and carrot cake I talked to the deckhand, Smokie and he says we had Limits of Reds on board. Just massive carnage from 1 ridge, it was absolutely amazing. I know a couple guys took pics of the kill box, so I hope they can post them. My phone was dead at that point. (I will get a camera, I promise)

Day 2

I get up at 4am again and the deck is still covered in Reds.
They proceed to keep cleaning fish until about 6ish and I fished the greylight in hopes for a WSB but we were parked in about 30ft of water in the sand so nothing came about it. We stayed there until about 8am when we drove along side the island and tried another spot for Sheephead. There were a few brought on the boat at this stop. We motored back down the island to a Ling spot and we proceeded to fill everyone's limits on Lings in about 3 short drifts. No monsters, but all good quality fish and what I assume is about 45-50 fish + another 20 or so shorts released.

After that we made a couple short drifts on the sandy end for halibut but no one was home.

Capt. Mike came on the speaker and let us know it was time to go and noone was disappointed. I spoke with just about everyone on the boat and everyone agreed it was the most ridiculous Red fishing they had ever seen and I cannot think of a better way to memorialize a Kenji trip than with Epic Reds.

Overall the trip was a great success. There was an issue with the fish cleaning and the way fish were handled, but that does not take away from the fishing itself, which was EPIC!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_173213.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	6768   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_190206.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	6769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170401_173117.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	6770  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Inshore Board Moderator

Kenji is looking down and saying "good job guys". Nice report.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:35 PM
If someone brings me a turkey baster...I can find more rum.

What were the fish handling issues?

That's a stellar day right there!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Strong, Silent Type

There was a mix up of the bag numbers. Some people didn't get all of "their" fish. The good part was, all of the bags were killer and I am sure most people didn't even notice as 1 sack full of giant Red Fillets looks pretty much like the next one.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM
If someone brings me a turkey baster...I can find more rum.

This happened on one of my charters last year in San Diego. There was just so much fish...and exhausted..... crew it can happen...

Some folks gave fish to the complainers

Dang that's a lotta taco meat
Old 04-05-2017, 05:01 AM
Procrastinate Now!

Great to hear, thanks for the report.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Just Getting Started

Great write up Brian. It was so good to finally get back on the water. I think we honored Kenji well...and Henry is the new shrimp fly master. I will try to get a couple photo's of his skills.

Chris
Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 AM
gotta run, I have a fish on

Default thanks for posting

What a great trip. Thanks for the report.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Who Farted?

****. It sounds like I missed a good trip. Just getting back to town from a new job assignment.

glad y`all got some feesh.