SenorTuna.com

Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SenorTuna.com > Private Boater Reports & Info
Home Page Forums Image Gallery

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Strong, Silent Type

Default Learning trip 2 - 6/3 - Horseshoe Kelp

Having changed the throttle cables and getting it all back together I decided it was time to finally get my pops out on the boat and I took my oldest son.

We decided to work the horseshoe kelp area hoping the warmer water fish would appear.

We left Cabrillo harbor at 8am decided to start up towards rocky point.

A few miles into that trip I decided she wasnt running good enough to make that trip... I was able to get up on plane with a lot of effort and the new cables allowed me to stay in the target speed without too much hassle, but the motor reacts very poorly to conditions and going upswell restarts the planing process and I bog backdown to 12mph and the nose shoots up in the air again and it restarts the process.

A few things I am considering:

I may have the wrong prop. My rpms are pretty limited and not being able to attain the power I need may be limiting my performance. Its a Merc 150 (Year unknown) and I have a 19p prop

I am getting a davies aluminum whale tail and I am also getting smart tabs to help with the planing issues and to add to the comfort....

On to the fishing.

Fishing was pretty slow. We managed 8 Sculpin (3 keepers) 2 reds, 1 copper and a few undersized floaters that never made it home.

We fished the hard bottom areas at 150ft on the west end, we came in and looked for rock piles in the 75ft range. I have since learned how to actually read my side scanner.... I missed a few good spots. I spent a ton for a Garmin 7607 xsv and I cant even use it right....

I did see a large boil of bait and I cast my anchovy mega bait through it for a very large Mackerel!

First fish on the boat on an iron?!

100's of Dolphins, a couple whales, 1 Mola Mola and seals galore...

It was a decent trip with a few fish to boot but more to ponder as I get used to my new sled.

Also, left my phone in the truck, so no pics of the fish. My bad.....
Old 06-10-2017, 08:17 PM
The Huntington Hillbilly

Always a gremlin on a boat I feel your pain just started a new journey with a great platform but a few bugs are driving me nuts We stayed close fished the oil rigs limited on Bass then went to the fleet of party boats at the green buoy for Yellowtail the wind shut us down in by noon with a list of things to address before next trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jm42.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6782   Click image for larger version

Name:	bass2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	6783  

Last edited by Todd C; 06-10-2017 at 08:37 PM.