SenorTuna.com

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Fish slayer, when the boat runs!!

Default Finally back on the water!

After 2 trips to the boat yard for annual service, I’m finally back on the water. This spring has been a real adventure, boat-wise! – I took the Shamrock in for Spring Service and, for a change, no surprises. I took the boat out for a day trip and didn’t get out of the second basin in the inner harbor before I had a high temperature alarm which shut me down and sent me back to the launch ramp in 5 minute bursts – move a bit, overheat, shut down, wait half an hour…. Repeat 2 more times to finally get her back on the trailer and home. Made a second appointment to fix what wasn’t broken before, and finally got it back last week. To be fair, the boat yard totally owned the problem and fixed it (with a new water pump) for free, which was cool. Their fault it happened, but no harm, no foul, and they were fair about it.
I was a little gun shy about taking it out yesterday, but no problems at all – the boat ran like a big, angry kitten (what beerboy calls the 8 cylinder symphony), the weather was beautiful, the Pacificos were cold and the fishing was OK. The only real purpose of the trip was to make sure the overheating problem was solved, but this was one of those days that make you happy to be alive.
I left the house at 0530 and we were in the water and moving by 0600. Launch ramp was busy, but it didn’t take too long to launch – tide was really low, so we had to back in pretty far, but no issues. I went out – on lake pacific conditions – to the 150 Spot on the horseshoe, targeting sculpin. Water was almost 67 at the harbor mouth and ugly brown, but changed to clean green and 64 out 8 miles at the 150 – that’s a bunch of smallish rocks out near the Double Rigs – a bit less than halfway to Catalina. The whole fleet was there catching sculpin and other bottom critters. Current was slack until about 1100, then really woke up – it was hard to hold bottom with 6 ounces of lead in 150 feet, so we plunked around out there until 1 PM, then scooted on home. I took a couple of pictures – the one of the Freelance is exactly why I like having my own boat! So, 13 gallons burned, 8 Pacificos consumed (for the two of us), and a bunch of fish tacos for dinner last night. Here’s some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2696.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	6866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2698.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	6867   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2700.jpg
Views:	12