View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Talkative

Default new year's crab on the hulicat - 12/26/2017

new year's crab on the hulicat - 12/26/2017

ok, my last trip for the year. *been spending too much time goofing off this month. *gotta knuckle down this final week and get some actual work (and reels) done before heading to back to puerto vallarta on 2nd. *headed out early this morning with my buddy rick and boarded the hulicat for the final rockcod/crab combo of the year. *tom mattusch has been running the hulicat out of half moon bay for as long as i can remember. *great skipper, true gentleman, all around great guy. *we had a really light load today, but tom didn't cut any corners. *it was a great way to end the year. *

let me introduce you to the boat and the skipper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmn2mu7UVNQ

the winds were predicted to be 15 knots all morning, but it was flat calm mid morning, didn't pick up until the afternoon. *i fished my standard whole squid rig with a single 50 pound double hook leader, with a j-hook on top and a treble on bottom. *got a 6 pound vermillion on the very first drop, followed by two lings, another smaller vermillion and a 3 pound canary. *ok, done! *that pretty much filled my cooler bag, so i started fishing for fun. *i stuck a final ling and handed it off. *turned out to the jackpot winner! *

check out the vermillion. *mike weighed the big one out at 6 pounds!

and after this pair of lingcod, the cooler bag was full!

ok, that's it for me for the year. *got a million things to do before i leave for PV again. *if you have time, the local weather looks good through friday, then it's going to pick up on saturday but it should be fishable, then it's going to blow on sunday. *you've got until sunday for the rockfish/crab combos, then it's going to be crabs and dabs. *the hulicat may also take a shot at petrale sole in january, but that is apparently still under discussion, so december 31st is not totally the end of local fishing. *just don't miss the chance to get your new year's crab and rockfish if you can! *go get 'em! *alan